Friday, August 22, 2008

Tide watch and the Couponami of 2008

I have found that my mom and I have something in common. We like to watch Tide. There is a big difference though - I like to watch the price of the Tide that washes clothes and leaves them with a nice clean scent. She however, likes the kind that washes up and back on the beach each day, and tends to leave little particles of dead fish or sea life that stink when the sun comes out and evaporates the water.

My mom is (and I have only discovered this in the last 4 days) a beach FREAK!! She is obsessed with watching and getting info on tides - high tides, low tides, slack tides, etc. She knows way too much about "seaglass", and has all sorts of off-the-cuff information about driftwood and agates. The knowledge comes out in spurts at odd times - like when we are walking along the beach looking for shells, and she just happens to mention that the sun sets 30 seconds later everyday, while the moon's difference each day is 24 minutes - and that is what effects tides. OK then... ""Do you know the price of Hillshire Farms lunch meat when using a Facebook Coupon?" I ask. Or in keeping with the topic, "can you tell me perhaps where Tide WITH bleach is on sale this week, and where I can go to get my $.75 coupon doubled?"

Here is a favorite of mine: We are sitting quietly in the front room of the beach house early in the morning, peacefully looking out the picture windows, when she pipes up with "This area is an earthquake zone, which makes it ripe for a Tsunami." I chuckle as I realize I just experienced the likes of a Tsunami in my own little world of Freebieland. I'll aways remember the great Couponami of 2008 - aka Facebook Fiasco.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK, this sure makes me wish I was on the beach too. You write way too well to not be mainstream. BIG mainstream with sponsors and all. WalMart, Tide, NPR. You go for it girl! Do not let this talent for writing, kids, and love go un-noticed by middle class America. How about politics? How are you leaning on these candidates?

Gretchen. said...

LOL Thanks for the compliments!!! I love to write, and I must admit I like to read what I write. (Is that kind of like laughing at your own jokes?)

I wish I had a bigger opinion about what is going on politically, but honestly I just can't keep up with all of it. I do say "GO-Bama" though, so my leaning is that direction. Ron Paul would be my first choice, but....

How are YOU???

*** said...

Ron Paul?? Are you nuts? Me, I'll vote for Obama, but I wish Hilary was still an option.

Gretchen. said...

I wish I had a decent knowledge of politics... and why we can't all just get along. BUT, until I do (which is not in the near future), I just pick a name and put in on my van bumper.

Just for the record, I have 5 Obamas on there now.